Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a departed family member or you chose to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated versus throwing them away.
There are a lot of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and several organizations out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Approximately 14% of the overall population, has hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some kind of hearing loss
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of individuals over 70 who need hearing aids have ever used them
This is extremely worrisome. Because health issues like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated loss of hearing. In fact, new studies come out all the time showing how important hearing is to your general health. These health problems can be prevented and in certain cases reversed by hearing aids.
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a really persuasive fact. But that cost can actually be decreased by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might simply not be possible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your pre-owned hearing aids can have a tremendous impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It could also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are lots of volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can just give us a call.